Version 1.0.1 (Effective date: October 1st, 2016)
Thank you for your interest in using Pangea, a social network that allows users to easily choose what they share with friends, close friends, family, colleagues or the whole world. We make it very clear what is public and private, so that users can enjoy sharing and still be confident that we are protecting their privacy.
How Do You Know What Is Public?
Globe Means Public
- When making a Post, select the Globe if you want the Post to be Public. (By default Public is not selected. So by default, all posts are Private, and can only be seen by your friends based on the selected circles of your post.)
- In your Profile, Public posts have a green Globe in the header. (Click on this to change to Public or Private.)
- As part of the Service, Pangea provides a messaging platform for Users to transmit content privately with other Users (“User Messages”).
Pangea also provides a posting platform for Users to share content privately with other Users (“Private Content”), or publicly with all Users (“Public Content”), collectively (“User Content”). All User Content is associated with the user who originally posted the content (“Posting User”).
1. Information Collected By Pangea
As part of the Service, Pangea collects a variety of information from Users (“User Information”).
- Pangea provides a secure platform for transmission of User Messages between Users. We do not store User Messages once they are delivered. We do maintain a temporary queue for User Messages awaiting delivery to offline Users.
- Pangea may provide an option for Users to choose to sync and store User Messages with Pangea or alternative data storage services.
User Profile Information
- Pangea provides a posting method for Users to share User Content via posts to other Users. We store User Content until the point that Users delete the User Content using the delete post interface provided by the Service.
- When you post Private Content, we ensure that it is only accessible to Users designated by the you, the Posting User. We do not allow Users to share, repost or otherwise provide access to anyone other than those designated by the Posting User.
- When you post Public Content, it is accessible to all Users. Pangea may provide a method for Users to share, repost or otherwise provide access for anyone to Public Content.
- You can choose to change Public Content to Private Content, by using the interface provided for changing who can access a previous post. If you change Public Content to Private Content, access to the content will be limited to those designated by the you, the Posting User. Pangea will limit access to shared or reposted instances of the content to those designated by the Posting User.
- By sharing User Content, you entrust other Users to treat your content responsibly. Pangea is not responsible for any mistreatment of User Content outside of the Services provided by Pangea.
Communications with Pangea
- Pangea also collects information related to the profile of Users, including but not limited to the user’s name, username, birthdate, gender and phone number (“Profile Information”).
- Users phone numbers are not displayed on Pangea, unless the User chooses to display their phone number in their profile. Users phone numbers may be used to help connect Users to each-other.
- Users usernames are displayed publically on Pangea. Users should take care in selecting their usernames, with the knowledge that this information is accessible to all Users.
- All other Profile Information may be displayed and accessible to all Users. Pangea may provide an interface to allow Users to control who can access various Profile Information.
Find Friends on Pangea
- Pangea may allow Users to provide their email or phone number for communication with Pangea regarding the Service (“Support”). All communications between Users and Pangea may be retained for Support, quality assurance and other analytical purposes. By using the Service, Users consent to receiving Service-related communications from Pangea.
User Content Metadata
- Users may choose to use Find Friends on Pangea, an optional function allowing Users to provide Pangea access to their contacts on their mobile device or other third party social media services. Pangea handles this contact information is a secure manner, and only uses the information for the purpose of connecting Users with each-other.
Analytical and Log Information
- Pangea may add metadata to User Content (including but not exclusive to keywords, hashtags, comments, likes and geotags) in order to enhance the user experience (“Metadata”). While Pangea may use this Metadata in order to optimize search results and User Content presentation, the use of Metadata will not affect the accessibility of any Private Content.
Cookies and Device Identifiers
- Pangea uses third-party analytical tools to assist in measuring trends and performance of the Service. These analytical tools collect data sent by your device or the Service for the purpose of allowing us to improve the quality of the Service. Analytical data is not associated with individual users and is collected in an anonymous or aggregate nature.
- Log file information is automatically generated every time Users use the Service. Log file information includes but is not exclusive to Internet Protocol (“IP”) header data and records of what pages and parts of the Service are used by Users. This information allows Pangea to conduct more accurate reporting in order to improve the Service.
- When Users use the Service, Pangea may use device identifiers, cookies, or similar technologies to collect information on how Users use the Service.
- Pangea along with third-party partners may present advertising as part of the Service, and may use this information.
2. How Pangea Uses Your Information
Pangea strives to provide the best user experience possible, while still maintaining the protection of Users’ privacy as our top priority.
- Pangea may use your information to optimize the delivery of the Service, including but not limited to efficiently loading and delivering User Content, automatically updating Pangea applications on your device, developing and testing new features and products, and monitoring usage patterns and performance to improve the Service.
- Pangea may use use your information to provide personalized content to you and other Users, which may include advertising or other forms of marketing.
Service Delivery Partners
- Pangea may use your information to diagnose and fix technical issues with the Service, or to generally assist in testing and improving the Service.
Change of Control
- Pangea may cooperate with trusted partner companies that assist us in delivering the Service to Users (“Service Delivery Partners”). In the course of this cooperation, we may share User Information with Service Delivery Partners under reasonable confidentiality terms, as necessary to deliver the Service.
- Pangea may anonymize or aggregate User Information to avoid any unnecessary risk associated with sharing with Service Delivery Partners.
Legal Requests and Preventing Harm
- Pangea will respond to legal requests as required by law in the jurisdictions of its Users. We may also access, preserve and share User Information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves our Users and others, including as part of investigations; and to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. User Information may be accessed, processed and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm.
3. How Pangea Stores Your Information
Storage and Processing
- User Information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in any country in which Pangea or its Service Delivery Partners maintain facilities.
- Because of the nature of social networking, User Information is inexorably intertwined and very difficult to isolate. Pangea will strive to protect and isolate User Information to the jurisdiction of Users whenever possible. Nevertheless, User Information may be transferred to, stored and processed in a jurisdiction different from Users and with different privacy and data protection laws.
- Pangea strives to use best-in-breed commercially available technology to protect User Information and to provide reasonable safeguards to all User Information stored and processed by the Service. Nevertheless, Pangea cannot guarantee the absolute security of User Information, and cannot guarantee that User Information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
- Pangea requires a mobile device and phone number from a Mobile Network Operator (“MNO”) in order to register and use the Service. The mobile device using the phone number used to register for the Service (the “Registered Device”) maintains the ability to access the Service. The Registered Device establishes trust with Pangea by way of a code sent in a text message delivered to the Registered Device via Short Message Service (SMS) (“SMS Verification”). Pangea relies on MNOs for the security of SMS Verification.
- In order to use the Service on any device other than the Registered Device (e.g., via a Web browser on a personal computer), the Registered Device is required to login by scanning a QR code. Users are encouraged to protect access to their Registered Device by means available on the device (e.g., device passcode or fingerprint scan).
- Following deletion of User Information or deletion of a user account with Pangea, we may retain User Information for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
4. Children’s Privacy
Pangea is only available for use by users ages 13 or older. We do not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to use the Service. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us.
5. Accounts of Deceased Users
In the event of the death of an Pangea user, please contact us. Please provide an email address where we can contact you to follow up with the request and request further information if necessary.